Posted by Collaborative Counseling
Life is stressful. For most people, the term ‘stressful’ is a major understatement to say the least. From work to studying to being home with kids or whatever your day consists of, it’s often tough to relax. Taking a moment out of your day to step outside and enjoy nature can ease some of that!
Here is a look into what happens in your body when you are in natural spaces:
- Lowered cortisol levels – when your cortisol levels are constantly raging, like in periods of high stress, there is more risk for depression/anxiety, weight gain, trouble focusing, and issues with your heart
- Lower blood pressure – the fresh air and view of nature help in keeping your heart and mind healthy
- Better sleep – spending time outside helps people not only get a deeper sleep, but sleep longer through the night
- Improved immune system – being outside exposes your body to a wide variety of healthy bacteria that work to improve your bodies natural defenses
- Increased exercise – people are more likely to get moving when they spend time outside whether that is walking/biking/swimming/etc which is always great for you as a whole
There are many ways that immersing yourself in nature can get you that much needed break! Not sure where to start? Walk through a local park on your lunch break. Maybe go for a bike ride with a friend. Even having a view of natural environments or plants in your house can make a difference!
It’s time get serious about caring for the bodies we live in every day. Take that step outside and enjoy the warm summer weather that is just around the corner! (But don’t forget your sunscreen!)
Want to learn more? Click here.Read More