Posted by Collaborative Counseling
Making the decision to divorce is often one of the most difficult choices to make for any person or couple considering separation. If you are questioning your decision or are trying to make a decision about whether or not to separate or divorce your spouse, it is important to think things through.
Of course there is no one question or set of questions to help you make this life decision, however there are some important things to consider that may help you sort through your thoughts and feelings related to your relationship.
Questions To Keep In Mind
- What are the things that you would miss about this relationship?
- What would ending this relationship lead you to give up? Think hard on this, there are always things you lose with the ending of a relationship.
- Are there more things you can do to try to make this relationship work?
- What is your role in this relationship not working? Are there things you could work on to improve this relationship?
- Have you gotten all the help you could from counseling, your respected family members or others who may be able to support you in finding ways to work things out?
- Is this a relationship you could see making improvements?
- Is your spouse open to working on things?
- Could you see yourself committing to try couples counseling or another form of relationship help to try to make changes?
- Do you have children or other family members who will be impacted by this?
- Can you imagine your life without your partner? If so, are there things you could learn to imagine having your partner also be a part of?
- Is this relationship abusive in any way (emotionally, physically or verbally)? Is this something your or your partner needs to work on?
- Are the issues you are having now a pattern you have had in other relationships?
- Have you done everything you could to make things work? If not, what are your reasons for not trying?
Where Do We Go From Here?
Without working on issues you have and patterns from your current and past relationships, it is important to remember that you may just repeat this pattern in your next relationship. Furthermore, to prevent regrets or just avoidance of your own issues, it is important to consider if there is more you could do to save or repair this relationship.
Ultimately, you need to make this choice for what is best for both you and your family. It is a huge decision with lasting impacts. Learn more about the services we offer for couples at: https://www.collaborativemn.com/counseling-services/couples-family-therapyRead More